The Expendables Premiere
Last night was the first red carpet I’d hosted where I was actually a little nervous about how the interviews with the film’s stars would go, which included action stars/martial arts kings Steve Austin, Randy Couture, Sly Stallone, Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren, and Terry Crews.
Fortunately, this was a red carpet and not a boxing ring, but if the experience would be anything like interviewing legend Muhammad Ali, I would be straining to come up with questions, clamoring for more detailed explanations
than ‘yes’ and ‘no,’ and hoping to death I don’t get punched in the face for annoying the guy.
Alas, none of that happened (quite the opposite, in fact) and I had quite a lot of fun with these brawny hunks of steel.
A few behind-the-scenes tidbits:
- Sly has the prettiest daughters in the world. I’d hate to the be the guy taking his first born to prom…yikes!
- Rourke was the least amiable, but he had also admitted to only being in the film for about a day and a half and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a little worn out from all red carpet hoopla.
- Steve Austin was the incredibly genuine and not at all like the “Stone Cold” persona I would watch on TV as a kid. He’s very passionate and committed to his cross-over to acting – and I think we’ll see a lot more from this guy.
- Dolph Lundgren has a great sense of humor. Swedish, mixed nartial arts medalist, award-winning chemical engineer, handsome actor, and funny? The guy is a genetic wonderboy.
- I forgot Randy Couture’s name, so I just introduced him as “HEYYYY!” Oops. Randy, I’m sorry. I still love you.
If you’d like to catch some of the interviews, here you are:
Thanks to MySpace and Lionsgate for bringing me on board!